The benefits of chewing your food.
November 8, 2020
It is really important to chew your food in order to ensure optimal digestion. Digestion of carbohydrates starts in the mouth. Chewing food helps to break down food into the right size to ensure that good digestion is achieved.The physical act of digesting food actually starts in the mouth, it is important that salvia is properly mixed with with the food. The teeth grind the food into smaller manageable and smaller pieces, the salivary glands secrete various enzymes onto the food to aid in absorption. The tongue also manipulates the food in the mouth, it forms the food into a bolus and then it swallowed.
Chewing your food helps to reduce the chance of over eating, it allows the body to feel that the stomach is full. It is recommended that you chew each mouthful at least 25 to 30 times before swallowing. The goal is to chew the food your are eating into a fine paste.
The benefits of chewing your food include:
- Better absorption of nutrients.
- Helps to maintain a healthy weight.
- Easier digestion.
- Allows you to enjoy your food.
- May help to prevent indigestion, bloating and nausea.
When eating it is also important to create an environment that is calm and enjoyable. The following tips may help to achieve this.
- Sit in a nice calm environment, try not to eat at your desk or in front of a computer.
- Chew your food.
- Sit down.
- Take the time to smell and appreciate your food.
- Enjoy eating with other people.
- Enjoy each mouthful.
- Put your knife and fork down after a few mouth fulls.
- Try not to consume lots of fluids with meals, especially water.
Eat the rainbow and enjoy every mouthful. Start today, carefully chewing your food and eating in a relaxed and enjoyable environment.