Stuffed Mediterranean Zucchini Flowers
December 17, 2020
Recipe for the Stuffed Mediterranean Zucchini Flowers
This is a delicious Italian Appetiser – it is zucchini flowers stuffed with delicious Mediterranean herbs, ricotta cheese and walnuts. They are then dipped into a batter and deep fried until golden brown. A great vegetarian dish, that transcends your taste buds to the beautiful coast lines of the Mediterranean.
12 Zucchini flowers
1 small zucchini – grated
1 small garlic clove – crushed
1 handful basil – finely chopped
1 handful Italian parsley – finely chopped
A few springs of rosemary – finely chopped
A few sprigs of chives – finely chopped
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
60g fresh walnuts – finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste.
Batter = 1/4 cup cornflour + 1/4 cup plain flour + good quality oil for frying.
- Gently wash the zucchini flowers. Remove the stamen and the stigma from inside the Flowers.
- Leave them to fully dry on some paper towel.
- For the filling – in large bowl combine grated zucchini, ricotta cheese, herbs, garlic, walnuts, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Slowly and carefully open the zucchini flowers and place 1 heaped teaspoon of mixture in each flower. Gently twist the top, this will ensure that the filling stays in place.
- To make the batter – in a medium bowl – whisk together the plain flour and cornflour, add cold water from the fridge – until the batter is a thin consistency.
- Add enough oil to a frypan to deep fry them.
- When oil is hot – it is ready for frying. (never leave hot oil unattended).
- Dip the zucchini flowers into the batter and then with care deep fry them.
- It is better to fry the flowers in small batches.
- Cook flowers until they are golden brown.
- Place fried flowers gently on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Season with extra salt to taste.